Thursday, March 14, 2013

Thoughts on a Fire

Yesterday was an okay day, that is until evening came around. The morning was filled with the usual cleaning, straightening and then eating lunch with Trevor. We played together, he played his Farm Frenzy game that he now loves on the computer while I played solitaire.

The afternoon flew by really. Before I knew it, Jeremy was walking into the house and we went outside to have some fresh air and play. Scooters and bikes. I need new tires for my bike, and have, quite honestly since about 1999. I don't know why I still have the bike since it has been that long....

2012, March 


2012, March

The boys like it when I take out one of their scooters and ride with them, race them and just have fun, so that is what we did.

We played for about 50-55 minutes since it was nice, but with the wind it was Cold! After we came inside, I went to get supper ready. Baked mac and cheese. Yummy! Or it would have been, had we gotten to eat it.

This beautiful, flat top stove began to billow thick, black smoke. Everything you see in this picture - a lots more that you cannot see - was completely covered with the white powder from the fire extinguisher. Yes, you read that correctly. Fire Extinguisher. This also includes the beautifully, golden perfection of baked mac and cheese, which sadly, met its end in the trash can after it cooled down.

The smell of this house last night was disgusting. The air was filled with the smell of smoldering rubber, a hint of the mac and cheese and then there was just dust, everywhere. This is the first time that I have ever needed to use a fire extinguisher so not knowing what to expect, the white powder cloud that immediately took over everything it possibly could, could in fact be normal. I did not expect it to look like a gigantic bag of flour had exploded. Needless to say, we had pizza last night, at 8:00 pm.

We are thanking God for protecting us from what could easily have been a complete disaster, for giving me the quick thinking to grab the extinguisher from the counter - incidentally, from where Joel had put it right before he took Jeremy to the store with him simply because he didn't like the smell and wanted it nearby in case I needed it. Later, he said that he honestly did not know why he felt such need to get it out, but he did. I see God's handiwork written all over this!

There was the voice in my head, calmly telling me to pick up the extinguisher, aim and squeeze the trigger. There was probably a voice in Joel's head telling him to get that extinguisher out of the back room. This voice  could only have been God's voice, protecting us, telling us what we would need and what I needed to do.

While I am spraying the kitchen stove, T-man is blissfully enjoying the warm water in the bathtub, just having a nice, relaxing soak. Visions of a towel-wrapped T-man being dropped out the window (if the kitchen did catch fire, there is a great chance we would not be able to make it to the front door to get out) and onto the bush almost directly blow the window. Luckily, it is not a 10-foot drop like it would be in the back of the house, but there is still a good drop there. I see a pressing need to have the chain ladders they make specifically climbing out the windows in case of fire.

Luckily, since God was indeed watching out for us, protecting us, there no towel-wrapped, scared little boy being dropped out any window, or raced out the door. There were no flames even. But there was smoke. Another blessing was the wind. At this time, the wind was blowing just enough to give us a strong cross-draft through the house so by the time Joel and J-boy got back from the store, most of the smoke and dust had cleared out.

We are blessed with family who will drop everything and come running, or in this case, a dad who will drop everything and come driving right over from Lititz. My father was another blessing to us last night. He stayed for quite some time to help clean up, be with the boys for a little. It is nice to have someone there to just be near.

We are especially blessed to still have our kitchen, our house and definitely blessed to have our lives. God watches over us all the time. It is so easy to take Him for granted because of this. He is always there. We go through life, knowing He is there but sadly, pushed way back as we focus on other things until something happens that forces you to remember Him. He should be first, not last.

God is always watching over us, out for us, caring for us, loving us. Even those times when we feel so alone, like the world has up and left us far, far behind. He is there. You cannot go anywhere, not one place that He is not already there. I thank God for this. He is my anchor and as the boys grow, He is becoming their anchor as well.

This post is long, again, and I apologize. I will be heading back to bed shortly since an emergency has a way of sapping all your strength and the general ability to function well. I'll end here with one of my favorite verses.

God's blessings to you.
~Karen
Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your understanding;
in all your ways submit to Him,
and He will make your paths straight.
*
Psalm 56:3
When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.