Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Normal Does Not Work For Me...

It's been a bit since my last post. Sorry! I have been doing my workouts and being careful with my legs until I had the chance to get to the doctor to see what kind of exercises and things I could do to strengthen my weak knee and not injure it.

Ironically enough, a simple and quite normal step out of my house did my knee in. There was no weird stepping involved. Normal doesn't work for me, apparently. After about a week of grinning and baring it, I finally went to the doctor. One x-ray later, there seems to be nothing abnormal with my knee.

A brief bit of history here: Back in 1995, my senior year of high school, I tripped and feel down a driveway that was steep, so steep it was like this  / angle. I landed on my knees with my right knee dead center on a very sharp rock. The fall was about 5 feet, by my memory guess. "I believe[d] I could fly..." At least that's what my body decided. I made the mistake of not going to the doctor and put up such a stink whenever my parents would try to get me to go. (I was afraid there would be a needle involved.)

Looking back, I could say that it was one of the dumbest decisions I have ever made. To this day, I have issues with it whenever the weather changes, or the seasons change. Worst. Pain. Ever. I should have gone to get it looked at way back then. I regret that choice. I am paying for that mistake, quite literally. Every doctor's trip has the inevitable co-pay.


Right now it does not take much for my knee to ache. Unfortunately, this time, it is worse than it ever was. My doctor was concerned that there was a meniscus(?) tear so he ordered me to get an x-ray. It apparently is clear so I can go ahead with physical therapy. I am a bit nervous. I get varying degrees of nervous/scared with new situations.

I am unable to workout to lose weight since cardio is out of the question so I am working my upper body for toning so once the weight is (I'm determined here!) gone, the nicely tones muscles will show up. Like I have said in a previous post, I am not looking to get in model shape, but a healthy shape. My boys need me to be around for a long time and the way I was, there were too many health problems creeping in. Also, extra weight is not good for the joints. This does not help my knee any.
So, the weight must come off. No more 191 pounds for me. If my health wasn't being affected by the weight, I wouldn't worry about it so much.

They say that weight loss is 80% clean eating, 10% exercising and 10% genetics. So, since I can't get the exercise in the way I'd like, I can definitely still focus on the healthy eating part. Here's to yummy, yummy, tummy-rumbly, finger-lickin' good food!

God's blessings to you, my friends.
~Karen
 
Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.