Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Struggles

Sunday afternoon, the boys and I dropped Daddy off at his co-workers house. They were going to Germany together and this guy was driving them to the Philly airport. They'll be back on the 14th and we cannot wait!

The boys are missing their daddy, especially J. It really hits him at bedtime and we've had some teary-eyes. We Skyped with him last night before bed, which they really, really loved. It made me sad, especially when J was so teary-eyed. One week to go.

My life motto is "One Day at a Time, Sweet Jesus." Even though at times those days can be more like an hour at a time, or even a minute at a time. I've been living this. Honestly, caring for the boys is the easiest part. The constant up and downs are my big trial. It works on my knee and makes the achy pain turn into excruciatingly stabbing, throbbing pain that makes the eyes cross.

The boys have been helping, especially my oldest. Last night was bath night, so I only had to take care of T-man. J can do the washing, drying and dressing himself and only occasionally needs help with rinsing his thick hair, but only when he's used a bit too much shampoo.

With my husband being gone, I really feel God showing me how to be mom and dad, at least temporarily. My husband's flight on Sunday was supposed to be departing Philly at 8:20pm, but got pushed back a couple hours due to a breaker needing replacing on the plane. I'm so glad that that was all it was. They were airborne by about 10:45 or a bit before.

The flight to Frankfurt, Germany was about 7.5 hours or so. Once they arrived and went through customs and all, they had to find the right train to take them to Bietigheim. Later this week they will be travelling by train to Prague in the Czech Republic. 

All in all, I'd say travel time was over 12 hours. That's a very long day! Especially with only about 3 hours of sleep on the plane. When we Skyped on Sunday, he looked exhausted. The boys really loved to see their daddy and thought it was very cool that he is 6 hours ahead of us. (That means that while I am typing this, it is 7:20pm in Germany.)

He surprised the boys this morning with a phone call to wish them a good day at school. He was eating at a German McD's and told them all about it. He is looking into some kids' meals to get them toys as a special surprise.

Everyday, the boys and I say a special prayer for daddy to be safe. On Sunday, we were praying hard for him to have a safe and uneventful flight to Germany, and next Tuesday, we'll be praying for a safe and uneventful trip back home. The boys each draw a line to make an X on the calendar to cross off the day. The countdown has been on! Only seven days now, or if you'd like to be picky, 6.5 days now since we are past the halfway point of the day.

With my knee being hurt, I am supposed to focus mainly on caring for the boys and the pets. We have enough clean clothing (he did laundry before he left since crouching is not something I can do well right now.) I do want to fold some laundry at some point. It is sitting in the basket and since it is under things, socks, pjs, etc. I am not worried about wrinkles. The boys will help put their own clothing away once it gets folded.

Psalm 46:1 tells us that "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble."

I know that God is constantly at work in our lives, protecting us, protecting our loved ones while they travel, like in our case. God is watching over the boys and I as well. Monday morning, Jeremy told me that he woke up feeling a little scared and so alone without daddy here. When  I asked him why he didn't come over to my room or call out and he told me that he felt all warm and comforted when he was nearly to scared to stay in his bed. He feels that it was Jesus holding him until he slept again.

Oh to have the faith of a child again. So pure, so innocent. Some people call it being na├»ve but it isn't. It is having that blind faith that we, as adults, so often lose and we are hardened by the things of the world. To see the world through the eyes of a child again, would be so amazing. They are amazed and excited by the things they see, things they experience. They feel with everything they are.

I love to see the wonder and that awestruck excitement on their faces and in their eyes. To be with them and to watch them as they experience new things is a special part of being a parent. They learn through life experiences and by our example. We are to raise them "in the way they should go, and when they are old they will not depart from it" (Psalm 22:6)

My boys are demonstrating this blind faith and trust in God by they fact that they tell me how they know that Daddy will be home, when daddy comes home, or how God will be bringing their daddy home to them. They take it on faith that God will bring him home to them safely. They trust that God is, and will be, answering their prayers. Such faith is awesome.

God's blessings to you, my friends.

~Karen