Thursday, November 7, 2013

Happy Hearts, oh those Warm, Fuzzies

My heart was super happy today, especially this morning. Although I did not think it would be a happy heart day. Those warm, fuzzies are a happy heart hug from the inside. ;-) Weird, huh? I certainly am. :-)

Shortly before my alarm would normally go off, my phone buzzed. I'm not sure why, because there was no text, no alarm or anything. Just felt like buzzing I suppose. After checking my phone, I noticed that our window blinds were more orangey than the typical gray of most mornings. I checked outside to see why the orange color was showing up and there it was. A gorgeous morning. The sky was a medium gray color due to the rain, and below the tree line, things were in shadow. But, oh the trees! Gorgeous yellows, reds and oranges. The sun was shining on the trees. The bright Autumn colors were offset by the darker sky. Over the trees was a very vivid rainbow. Every single color was shining brightly.

I wish that I had a picture to share with you but alas, by the time I grabbed my camera and got to the window in the kitchen, the houses were being brightened by the sun, the clouds were parting and the rainbow was quickly fading away. Within a moment's span, it was gone; nothing but a memory. In lieu of a photo of the actual rainbow and Autumn trees, here is a similar sky and bright trees picture.
Google images photo
My prayers this morning definitely including thanking God for showing me the scenery with the rainbow. I felt it was just for me in a way, because before I could share it with my family, it was gone. Sometimes life is just like that. There are things that we feel we want to share but in reality, are not meant to share. Sometimes though, distractions happen. I was definitely distracted soon after by my dog who left a single "present" on the sofa cushion. That was not a good distraction, by any means!
Koko, my mental cat
 
Genesis 9:12-16
 
And God said: “This is the sign of the covenant which I make between Me and you, and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth.  It shall be, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the rainbow shall be seen in the cloud;  and I will remember My covenant which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. The rainbow shall be in the cloud, and I will look on it to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.”
 
In the midst of our distractions, there is a voice that speaks to us. Sometimes we are too busy to hear it. Sometimes we listen. Sometimes we just ignore it. Although ignoring it, does not make it go away. That little voice keeps speaking gently. At times that voice can be barely a hum, and other times, it is like a slap against the head-cannot miss it for anything. This morning that voice was telling me that it was about time I sat up and listened. It was telling me that I was missing out by being so focused on things that were not as important. It told me to take the time to listen with my whole being. Listen to my children's voices as they speak. Listen to the sound of the rain against the window. Listen to the "heartbeat" of life, as I go about my day. Listen. Quietly listen.

I truly heard my children's emotions as they spoke to each other. (Not always the happiest.) I could hear the purring of my cat as she was stretched out under the kitchen table as I drank my coffee smoothie. (Yum!) I could hear the hum of vehicles on the highway, the sounds of the neighbors leaving for their day at work or running errands. I could hear my dog snoring and snoring as she was laying under the coffee table in the next room. I could also hear her whimper as she dreamed. As I sat on the sofa between my boys, I could hear them breathe, and felt that if I was quiet enough I could hear their hearts beating. It did my heart good to hear their laughter.

I love to listen to children's laughter. They feel so much and cannot hide it. It is honest laughter. It is laughter straight from their hearts and makes me smile every time. I love the way their eyes light up and seem to shine with their hearts. Before I became a mother, children's laughter did not make my heart melt like it does with my own boys. They make my heart happy. (That warm, fuzzy feeling that people get, to me that is my heart being happy.)




It is said that laughter is the best medicine and it definitely was doing my heart good to hear it today. Spend time with your children and/or grandchildren. Listen. Enjoy the time with them and just listen. It will do your heart good.

I pray that you all have a wonderful day and that you see many blessings and hear many things that cause your hearts to be happy. If your day is sunny, "listen" to the sun. If it is rainy, hear the rain. Focus on the things you normally miss because you are too busy. Slow down and smell those flowers before they fade away into Winter. I wish you all Happy Hearts.

~Karen