Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thankfulness with a Right Heart

Philippians 4:12 "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or want."

As we gather with our friends and families to celebrate Thanksgiving, let us please remember what it is that we are truly thankful for. 

These are just a few of the basic necessities that are so easily taken for granted. If you take the time to think of all the things that you've been blessed with, you will realize that the important things are not the kind of car we drive, how big our television sets are, how many material things we can accumulate and how full can we cram our closets and cupboards with, just stuff. 

Having a safe, warm house to live in, food to keep our bellies full, water to quench our thirst, clothing to cover our bodies and keep us warm, a comfortable bed to lay in and get our rest, family and friends who love and care about us - these are just a few of the basics.

Things are so easily overlooked, taken for granted or even forgotten completely. When, and if we pray, we ask for things, and don't usually take the time to be thankful and to express that gratitude. 

My wish and prayer for you, my friends, on this Thanksgiving and throughout the rest of the year, is to focus on the things that we have been given, been blessed with by a loving and powerful God. Let us take the list the things that we are needing instead of the materialistic wants and things that we can truly do without and make a list of all the ways that we can be a blessing to someone who truly is in need. 

Instead of making a list of all the things that we want but think that we need, make a list of the things that we can do to help others and how to go about doing so. 

Do you know of a person that has no place to go for Thanksgiving or even Christmas? Invite them into your home.

Do you know of someone who will not have enough food to feed their family? Feed them.

Do you know someone who is in need of warm clothing? Clothe them. (Whether by buying new clothes, buying second-hand clothing, or just giving from your own closets - it does not matter.)

Do you know of someone who is hurting? Be the shoulder to lean on, cry on, an ear to just listen to them. 

The basic point of this post is to just really take the time to be thankful for the things that you have such as your life, family and friends to gather and fellowship with, a warm place to be, etc. 

Matthew 25:35-36 "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."

Have a blessed and truly Thankful holiday.

God's blessing to you all.
~Karen