Sunday, January 3, 2016

2015 Reflections

Welcome to 2016 everyone!

Can you believe it's a whole new year already? In some ways 2015 flew by but in others it dragged so slow. How was your 2015?

Ok 2015 was a very long year. Between the return of schedules for the school year and getting the boys up for school and everything that goes with it along with homework and and so that's what's for lunch each day, when library day is and remembering to pack the book. Just waking up in the morning is a challenge because I am not a morning person. I love my sleep, so waking up at 6:45 a.m. or even 7 a.m. is a daily struggle.

We traded in our dying minivan for a 2014 Jeep Patriot in order to go on a road trip in the summer that never happened. One reason it never happened is because the boys cannot go for long periods of time or even short periods of time in the vehicle without arguing and being too loud and just a nuisance. Not going on the road trip turned out to be a blessing because my father in law had a massive stroke and was in the hospital and then the rehab and finally a nursing home where he will spend the rest of his days. We would have ended up driving home from out west.

My husband is co power of attorney along with his sister for my father in law because the stroke caused some mental issues and he is not capable of handling his bills and different things that need to be done. One thing that is needs to be done is my father in law's house needs to be cleaned out and sold because nursing homes are not cheap yall. Not cheap at all!

All of November and most of December I have been sick with a sinus infection and a full blown bronchitis which was not fun so I completely missed Thanksgiving at both houses that we would normally go to. My sweet husband made me a roast chicken dinner with potatoes and corn and gluten free stuffing so I could have my own Thanksgiving dinner even though I was in the house alone. At least my husband and boys were able to go enjoy the dinner and the enjoyment of being with the family.

In the beginning of December my mother, who is in her late sixties, had surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff. She is wearing a restrictive sling to severely limit her arm motions because she had pins put in her shoulder and stitches and all of that needs to heal and the muscle needs to regrow to mend. It'll be in a sling of some sort for 3 to 6 months.

I felt very indifferent to everything in the later part of 2015. When I was asked what I want for Christmas or for my birthday on New Years Eve I really had no answer. I usually have a really long list of things that I would like to have so there is a good selection. This year I really had no idea what I wanted. I really did not care if I got anything.

For New Years Eve do you think go away and spend time with family but this year it was just the 4 of us at home. We invited some neighbors to come over but they declined so it was another way that made the year very different.

I was just recently sent some updates on kids that I used to take care of at the daycare where I used to work and they were not positive at all between drugs and broken families and prostitution to one thing as being arrested for aggravated assault and hitting the policeman when he was being arrested to one even committing suicide. It's a struggle because these are children that I raised in a way since they were at the daycare for 12 hours a day from the time they were 6 weeks old or 1-2 years old until they were 12 years old.

This year has broken my spirit. It's not depression, I'm just lost. I will find my way though because life hasn't got me down and out yet and I've been through worse things.

My goals for 2016 are simple. One goal is to keep the kitchen clean. That means hopefully, hopefully going to bed with a clean sink with no dirty dishes waiting in there for me in the morning. I try to remember to prep the coffee and program the coffee maker so the coffee is ready and waiting for us in the morning instead of us having to wait on the coffee.

Another goal is to be more positive and thankful for things each day. I will admit I did fail at this last year but it's something that I really feel like I should work on and it's just something I need to do. So each day I'm going to TRY to think of three things that I am thankful for each day. I probably won't put them on Facebook and I certainly won't blog about it each day but it's something that I do want to focus on and to remember to do.

God's blessing to you my friends. I wish you a happy healthy and fun 2016.
~Karen

PS. I apologize for any typos as I am typing on my phone and spell check is not working.